Monday, November 28, 2005

Winter Assbike Project

I have an old Wheeler mtn. bike frame (Tange Prestige OS). When the seatpost got stuck inside I tried to cut it away with a hacksaw blade, and tried to pry the remnants of the post out of the frame. But no luck, and in fact I pierced the seattube a bit in the process.

But this would make a great winter Assbike. Soft wide tires will be a lot more sure footed in the snow and ice than the 23/28mm tires on the Pinn.

Today I finally took it to Biseagal (I should've snapped a before pic) to have the remnants of the seatpost pulled out of the frame and have the seattube reamed.

The shop looks promising. They are in an industrial building near Gerrard and Carlaw. They do framework and they have a milling machine and drill presses on the shop floor! It's one of the few places in Toronto where they can do this kind of stuff. Very few shops do this kind of thing, either it's not cost effective or they don't have the equipment or expertise.

I'm picturing this as a lightweight 'cross/hybrid build, rigid fork, V-brakes. Stay tuned as a build up this Assbike before the deep freeze hits.

If this repair goes well I'll also have Biseagal replace the cracked dropout on the Pinn. I almost sold this bike, but I forgot that the frame was cracked!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home